What is a Domain Name? Where should you buy?
What is a Domain Name? Domain Name (DN) is one of the most important factors in your website. For easy to understand, it’s the web address of your website. If someone wants to visit your website, they must know and remember your website address name, instead of the group of number IP address. It works like your home address, it needs to be easy to remember and easy to find. Below I’m going to explain to you deeply about what is a domain name
Table of Contents
- 1. An example of a domain name
- 2. Some of the popular domain extensions you should know
- 3. Some Domain name’s characteristics you should to know
- 4. How to choose the best domain name?
- 5. Where to buy a domain name?
- 6. Others useful domain coupon codes you may need
What is a Domain Name?
- What is a Premium Domain Name?
- What is Domain Authority?
- Domain Name Extensions – What do they mean?
- Guide to manage domain and point domain at GoDaddy
1. An example of a domain name
Normally, each domain name contains 3 parts and has the structure like below
1.1. In among of that
www: the prefix of the domain, this is an option, you can visit ecoupon.io without www.
ecoupon: the domain name
io: the suffix of the domain, it’s also called domain extension
1.2. Totally, domain names are hierarchy into 3 levels
- Domain level 1 (also called Top Level Domain – TLD): such as godaddy.com, google.com,…
- Domain level 2 (secondary level domain): such as google.com.sg,…
- Subdomain: they’re from domain level 1 or level 2, such as drive.google.com, mail.google.com,…
2. Some of the popular domain extensions you should know
|.COM||Commercial||Currently, this is the most popular extension, it’s chosen by almost companies and businesses,…|
|.NET||Network||The second most popular extension now, it’s also used by companies, internet services providers or organizations that related to internet fields|
|.BIZ||Business||It’s used for small business websites, small eCommerce businesses,…|
|.GOV||Government||It’s used for companies, organizations that own by government|
|.ORG||Organization||It’s usually used for non-profit organizations or eCommerce companies/organizations,…|
|.EDU||Education||People use this extension for schools, universities, or education organizations,…|
|.INFO||Information||People use this extension for websites that sharing information or resources about many fields,…|
|.TV||Television||People use this extension for websites about television streaming, videos sharing,…|
|.MOBI||Mobile||People use this extension for mobile websites or mobile apps…|
3. Some Domain name’s characteristics you should to know
- Your domain will be activated instantly after you bought successfully and provided full information
- You can not buy a domain name that has already existed. You just only buy when it was deleted from a registrar.
- Your domain names’ length and content do not affect to website load.
- Your domain should have maximize 63 characters (include the extension .com, .net, .edu, .gov,…)
- You can buy domain names as many as possible, no limited.
- Your domain must only contain characters in the alphabet (a-z), numeric (0-9), and hyphens (-). All spaces and other special characters are invalid
- Your domain must not begin or end with hyphens (-)
4. How to choose the best domain name?
The best domain is the right one that brings effectiveness to your business. So you should research very carefully and deeply about the market and business in order to choose the best one for you. Normally, people are tending to remember domains that are short, memorable and easy to spell.
If your website is in specific markets, you should also choose the domain related to your brand or products. You can choose the name base on the keyword people tend to search or products that people are usually easy to remember and pronounce. In the future, the domain keyword also helps you to improve quickly in SEO strategies.
5. Where to buy a domain name?
There are tons of domain providers (domain name registrars) in the world nowadays. If you’re in choosing a process and don’t know which one to choose. So you should consider these factors below
- Truth and high reputation domain name registrars
- Always have the cheap price for people
- Available to support and contact if needed (24/7)
- The annual renewal price
- The transfer policies and support team
Currently, you can easily buy your own domains with very cheap price from many well-known domain providers such as Godaddy, NameSilo, Domain.com, Namecheap, Dotster, MyDomain, 123-Reg, 1and1, …I’ve had this article about Top 10 best places to buy your domain name from, I think this will help you a bit.
If you’re going to buy domains at Godaddy then you should read this article How to buy a domain with Godaddy
Good luck to you,