What is VPS Hosting and What you need to know!
What is VPS Hosting?
A VPS (Virtual Private Server) is also a host but it’s a high-level hosting. It’s one of the web hosting techniques that bridge the gap between a dedicated server and a shared hosting server. A VPS can provide you better controls than free hosting or shared hosting. With VPS hosting, you will have more power resources and controls on your hosting account. In addition, you can have fully-managed controls and you can run your own software, applications, or many websites on it. However, it’s required that you need to have some technical skills to manage.
When buying a new VPS hosting, you can also upgrade new hardware such as RAM, disk space, # of CPUs if you want in the future. These features will let you customize hardware configuration belong to your needs.
What you need to know?
- VPS hosting is more powerful compared with shared hosting and free hosting
- You will have a full and flexible control with your assigned resources
- It has better security and performance compared to free and shared hosting
- It’s less expensive than a full Dedicated hosting plan that uses a physical server
- Almost isolation from another VPSs running on the same physical machine
- It’s very easy to upgrade to the higher resources if needed
- Many VPS plans can be customized to meet your business requirements so you pay for what you want
- You will need a little bit technical skills to manage well your VPS hosting
- It’s more expensive than a shared hosting with clients who just want a little resource
What is Managed VPS and Un-managed VPS?
A Managed VPS commonly has only available with a control panel. The provider will only support that control panel and its standard software. In some cases, the host will do nothing unless you request it so you need to monitor the VPS yourself. Managed VPS hosting sometimes will do responsible for OS, software installations, monitoring, security and many other items on VPS you buy.
An Un-Managed VPS means you are fully responsible for the VPS from OS installation to security, to everything. Expect zero help from the provider, while fully Managed is very close to shared hosting. They keep the server security in check, will help to fix control panel problems.
By knowing what is VPS hosting and using it, you will have better reliability and performance than free and shared hosting. When buying a new VPS hosting plan from VPS providers, you’re given a certain amount of disk space, bandwidth, RAM, number of CPUs…etc. And in some certain cases, VPS hardware is set to your VPS only. In addition, using VPS also help you to isolate from many attacks or rogue from another, because each VPS runs independently completely of each other, so if one has problems, the impact on another is minimal
A VPS hosting is suitable for many types of website from simple personal blogs to high-demand business websites such as e-commerce websites or heavy traffic forums. It’s also the best choice for developers who need more resources to control or install their applications.
If you’re looking for a reliability VPS hosting for your business, please take a look at my article on Best VPS hosting providers you need to know
Other useful articles you may need to know
Good luck to you,