What is Shared Hosting and What you need to know!
What is Shared hosting?
Shared hosting is also known as webhosting, web space, web hosting space or something terms related. In fact, it’s the space on the web server where you can store your websites. Your website is anything about web files, web pages, web images and also mp3 files, movie files,…Web hosting is the space where your websites place and it processes any requests from internet users. The requests are something like downloading files, uploading files, processing an shopping order or requesting a mp3 file…
Most shared hosting typically use one or more single server to share the hosting resources between many clients. This is an acceptable solution for small and medium website, both for personal and business or many other purposes with do not need high volume traffic and resources. Almost shared hosting using Linux as the operating system. While also have a few using Window with a small price per month.
What you need to know?
- Most common use by wide variety requirements, from personal to small or medium businesses
- Almost shared hosting plans are cheap but there are some specific plans with additional fee
- Almost shared hosting plans come with free domain name
- Always have technical support via ticket, email or forum
- Easy to upgrade to higher plans when needed
- Because they use a single server to share between many clients, so there are some security risks introduced
- Because using sharing resources, so if your websites have a huge traffic or using much CPU resources, you need to upgrade to the higher plans
- If one site getting harmful for the server, others may be affected due to using the shared single server.
- You’re maybe restricted in using some programming language and file type supported (it’s based on each hosting provider)
When choosing a shared hosting plan, you need to consider many features that the hosting provider can provide to you. Such as hosting space, bandwidth, add-on domains, database, support,…So it depends on your business requirements then you choose a suitable one.
If you’re making a big e-commerce site with heavy traffic and thousands of images, videos, then maybe you will choose a VPS or even a dedicated server for it. However, in general, shared hosting is suitable for most small and medium websites such as your personal blog, portfolios or a small forum.
If you’re planning to build your own website, please take a look at my article on Top web hosting review
Other useful articles you may need to know
Good luck to you!